Sep 26, 2008

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of late night wake-ups, last night the second of our three smoke detectors began ringing inexplicably in the wee hours of the morning.  This happened previously with a different detector in the house.  It started ringing for no obvious reason, and only stopped when we ripped the battery from its back.  I can't say I've done much testing with this one, but when this happened last time, we cleaned the detector as best as possible, then plugged in a new battery.  The high pitched, ear-piercing siren began again at once.  Weird!!  It had never rang, or even beeped previously.  Then last night, it happened with another one.  Good thing we have a third alarm (they were all hung within 20 feet of each other).  I'm starting to wonder what in the world is going on!  Am I missing something here?

4 Comments:

At 6:46 AM, Blogger the letter "J" said...

Apparently the can expire and have to be replaced. I believe it is around 15 yrs or so.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

reminds me of the time we had a similar issue.... Andy took out the battery... it didn't give up and continued to chirp... Andy shoved it in the couch cushions...we could still hear it. That bad detector found itself out on the back porch. I wondered about it bothering the neighbors... no one complained. We got to sleep quieter.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

we had a similar experience to beth and andy. it was part cyborg or something. i'm telling you, high heel delivered with force works everytime...

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It just happened to Anna and I a week and a half ago. We had the same problem, and I might add, why does it always happen in the middle of the night? The ceiling in the bedroom, which is the one that was going out, is over 14 feet. A chair was not going to get me high enough. After debating on if I should go to the garage for the ladder, or throw something at it, I created a very unstable platform consisting of the side of the dresser, and the back of a chair. Standing on the the back of the chair, using Anna as a counter balance I reached up and was barely able to grab it. What annoyed me even more, besides the chirp, was that when I pulled it, I discovered it was on the houses power supply...? Huh? It also has a battery back up if the house looses power, so even if the detector has power from the house, the chirp can also occur if the battery back up goes dead. Go figure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home