My Irrational Fears
In a recent post I pointed out some things that I find interesting with regard to human fears that have the semblance of irrationality. Well, after the post I got an e-mail challenging me to state my irrational fears. I have accepted the challenge.
I have a number of irrational fears. One of them newly discovered!
Number 1

Spiders. I am arachnophobic. Though many of those who have heard of my spider encounter in Brazil attempt to pass off my fear as somewhat rational based on that experience, in truth that particularly traumatic experience is not to blame. I have ALWAYS been arachnophobic and I really don't have a better explanation for the fear than "they are creepy and ugly."
Number 2
Swans. Yes, you read that right! I am terrified of Swans. I have never had a good close up encounter with the foul creatures. Sure, they are pretty, but they bite! I still remember what should have been a beautiful day passing out bread crumbs to all of the ducks and swans at the Davis Arboretum that went terribly wrong when the swans got impatient! Whenever one swims close I get nervous.
Number 3 - BONUS NEW IRRATIONAL FEAR
"Little people" spray painted blue! At the tech conference last week one company had the idea of getting a "little person", spray painting him blue from head to toe and having him pass out fliers. Well, the problem, besides the fact that the company's marketing team thought that this was a good idea, is that the carpet was the same color blue as the spray paint! Thus, he was almost invisible until he moved. He was also in a high traffic area where people were moving quickly, paying attention to other things. I went past the booth at least four times and EVERY TIME I jumped when suddenly presented with a flyer by the camouflaged dwarf. Twice I even made a horrified "AHH!" sound. I don't think I ever even took a flyer. I jumped too far back, and didn't have the courage to reapproach and take a flyer.
Not cool. Very scary.

6 Comments:
where's the pic of Number 3 - BONUS NEW IRRATIONAL FEAR? I really wanted to see it! LOL
Some things are just too scary to post!
could you have found a creepier spider picture!?? i'm still randomly getting the chills just thinking of it! but only between the times i'm laughing at your swan fear and small blue man! that is hilarious. I shouldn't judge really...I'm terrified of mascots when they get too close to me!
No, no, a the mascot for the Smurf University. It's where Brainy Smurf would teach night classes.
With that mascot you could scare of Alan and Melanie in one shot.
That's ok, I have a fear of freezers with no ice cream in it. I get chills just thinking about it.
it sounds like putting alan and I in a room with a blue mascot would be cheap entertainment at the reunion! thanks andy!
Alan, you know what Ethan needs to be for Halloween now, don't you? I see blue paint in your boy's future.
Post a Comment
<< Home