May 13, 2008

One of My Favorite Buildings



I have seen some amazing buildings, but the Parliament building in London is very near the top of my list. I love the architecture, the detail, but most of all I love the color. Or, more appropriately, colors. Pictures really don't do this building, nor its sister Westminster Abbey, justice. In person the building is not a solid color but a panoply of bronze, each quadrangle faded to a different shade. Here are the pictures for what they are worth; but I hope each of you reading this post has the chance to see the building first hand, if you haven't already.






A statue of Oliver Cromwell:



Whenever I see his name I think of his dissolution of the Rump Parliament and the famous line, often repeated in modern political speeches: "In the name of God, go!"



Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress’d, are yourselves become the greatest grievance. Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this Augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House; and which by God’s help, and the strength he has given me, I am now come to do; I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place; go, get you out! Make haste! Ye venal slaves be gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go!

1 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

stunning...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home