May 1, 2008

Back in the UK and Missing My Mom

(Photos are from Kensington. I have been at a hotel down the street this week.)







Well, it has been a few years but I am back in London this week on business. The weather has been typical London...rainy and miserable. When I was last in London the weather was marvelous and we spent a great deal of time wandering the parks, Amara in tow. After experiencing a few days of "the real" London, I have to say that I am glad that we didn't end up at LBS for business school.

Now, don't get me wrong. I still LOVE London. When the sun is shining there are few cities that can match it. Luckily for me, since I was up at 4am this morning, I saw that there was a break in the weather and I rushed out to walk the parks before the coulds filled in again. (Which was before 8am)

One of my favorite experiences the last time we were in London was getting up super early with my Mom and going out to Hyde Park hoping to see the Queen's Cavalry. We spent most of our time just wandering and chatting in the early morning. It was a great experience that I remember fondly.

This morning my route mirrored the one we took that morning and I chanced upon a riding group, and then upon the Queen's Cavalry in Kensington Park.



You may not be able to see it clearly but in one of the pictures the soldiers are facing towards me. The captain, seeing that I was positioning myself for a photo, ordered the men to turn their faces toward me. Nice of him to be so accomodating. Then again, I was the only tourist out at 6:30am.



I realized this morning why having my mother around was especially fun in London and that is because she enjoys the details of London better than the rest of us. It may be her superior command of British history, especially the monarchy, or perhaps it is in her English genes. Regardless, while I was walking around this morning I really wished that I could have been sharing the time with my mom.

(Kristina: Yes, I miss you and the kids as well.)

The bridge St. James Park (My camera batteries died before I got on the bridge, which is a very picturesque shot.):



Here's one of the local Tube Stations:



Buckingham Palace:



The side of the famous Harrod's:

1 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger stina said...

Wish we could be there with you! It was so much fun last time. And glad to hear you miss us, too. I was feeling a little left out. :)
BTW-the camera can use any AAs. (I want to see more pictures!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home