Oct 11, 2006

Soliciting Opinions

So does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations on new vehicles? We're seriously looking into getting something new now, and I've been obsessively reading, gone to carmax (which is cool, by the way), and now I'm looking for opinions from others. We've considered a larger 5 seater that can comfortably hold 3 carseats (and no, that's not some kind of vague announcement, we're just thinking ahead, ok?!) That's still a possibility, but really we'd prefer something with even more room/seating. I've felt a bit reluctant to get a minivan, but I'm quickly being swayed. They're far more family-friendly than the SUV, at least for young families. More trunk space, easier to climb into, and easy access to the back seats, to name a few. The whole fold down the front seat to get into the back row thing doesn't work very well when there's a carseat in that front seat. I still haven't figured that one out. So anyways, anyone have any thoughts on cars they love or hate, or other considerations I should take into account?

5 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger Buppa H said...

Mom and I love the Dodge minivan. The front seats are the most comfortable of any car I know. The option to remove the seats is great when you need to haul stuff. SUV's have more panache, but as a practical car for families I think the minivan wins out. The best deal we have found is a rental return to a dealer. We got ours with 16 thousand miles and 3 year warranty. We saved about $8K over a new car.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger HornInFBb said...

we're newly 3 carseats across the back and judging from a few short trips in town, it's not going so well :) they're bugging eachotehr and it's hard to get the middle kid buckeled.

So I'd say minivan. their gas milage is better than SUVs too. and geenrally, safety too.

(in my wagon, we can only properly fit 4 people. so any increase means a minivan for us too)

We love carmax. but don't ever by new (soapbox here). Buy a 2004 or so, and let somebody ELSE take the huge hit on depreciation.

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Buppa H. I love our Dodge Caravan!

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger LollyGirl said...

Funny, we're in the exact position you're in right now so I REALLY appreciate this post!!

Our car died a week ago Sun. The timing belt brok while we were driving and apparently that's very bad news with the type of engine we have. Mechanic said he could fix it but couldn't make any promises so we said go ahead. The worst case scenario happened: the pistons were bent and now it needs a major revamp. Fortunately, we really like and trust our mechanic and he said he could have it back in good working condition for $2000 max. We decided to do it so we can sell it and get a least a little out of it. The kelly blue book is only $3,200 so we figure even if we make a $500 profit it's better than 0.

I completely agree about the practicality of the mini-van but I'm just not sure we're wanting to go that route. I just might concede when it comes down to it, especially taking into consideration the gas mileage! However, we're leaning toward the mid-size SUV's. I really like the Honda Pilot. It seats 8.

Who knows when we'll actually be able to get something but it sure is fun to think about!!

Good Luck!! Keep us posted on your progress.

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family has always really liked the Mercury Villager - so much that when the first one went kaput we got another one. Looks like they don't make that model anymore, but if you are looking for used you might get a decent one. Or check out the new Mercury models at least to compare.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home