Mar 18, 2009

I will not have fun!

After his usual moaning and groaning about how he doesn't like Primary (the last two hours that he spends with other kids), Ethan took a seat in the front row with the other three and four year-olds, Alan promising him that I'd come to check on him shortly.  When I peered in less than 5 minutes later, I saw my little boy with a downturned lip.  I thought that he may be on the verge of tears, but I couldn't clearly see his face from where I was standing.  I didn't want to reveal my presence, of course, unless absolutely necessary because, in case he wasn't already pining for me, he would start immediately upon seeing me.  A teacher behind Ethan saw me and gave me a thumbs up, indicating that Ethan was doing fine.  I headed to my class, but later passed the music leader in the hall.  She commented on how cute and funny my son was.  Uh oh.  What did he do this week?  The entire primary is already keenly aware of his love for dinosaurs and I can only imagine how he blurted out the details of Big Al and Alice and T-Rex-o (the allosauruses and T-Rex that he regularly talks about) in front of everyone to a friend's mom, who's one of the teachers.  Apparently this week, he'd come in with a pout, and attempted to maintain it through the entire first portion of Primary (where multiple ages are together.  This is the part he claims not to like).  She said it faded in time, and my guess is that he forgot to be all pouty when he was distracted and having fun.  I asked him about it after church, and he showed me this:
"Why would you pull that face in Primary?" I asked him. "Because," he said in his best pouty voice, "I don't like Primary." I asked him what face he pulled during his Primary class time, and here's what he came up with:
I'm happy he loves class, but in the meantime, he's intent on disliking Primary. Strange.
(And yes, he's wearing a leotard.  More on that weirdness later.)

2 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger Bluebell said...

For Soren's Halloween costume I needed a black shirt to applique a bat on, and the only one I could find was in the girls' section. I bought it, and he continues to wear it, but I laugh every time at the scoop neck.

Owen STILL doesn't like Primary...it's his worst time of the week. It sounds like Ethan likes it even if he won't admit it.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I don't know what I'm getting a bigger kick out of. His expressions, the leotard, or the names he has come up with for his dinosaur pals. It's all just a big pile of cute and funny! Ooh! Maybe tell him the big joint primary part is kind of like when they have big meetings in the dining hall at Hogwarts! Of course everyone can't wait to get to their own individual house, but the big part with everyone is exciting and fun too. If that actually works, I will take on the title of genius.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home