We've been studying ancient civilizations recently, and a friend of ours has come up with a number of fun and elaborate Egypt-related projects. We've started making a sarcophagus out of poster board, and we were given the task of mummifying this Indian Princess doll from Michael's.

Step 1 was somewhat traumatic for us: the hair must go. Amara let Ethan get in on the action. I quickly realized that the process may take a very long time, since both kids gave the doll repeated trims.

I love the look on Amara's face here. Perhaps she's inherited some of my neuroses, like the sympathy for inanimate objects. I've gotten much better with age - I don't save every pencil I've ever received unsharpened, or cringe when I have to throw away a piece of paper because I feel a twinge of sympathy for it. (yes, I really used to do that! Among other things... Can you imagine what kind of pack rat potential I have in me? Don't worry - I do actually throw things out). Still, chopping off the hair of this doll, seeing her beady black eyes pleading with me.... I felt that familiar pang of sympathy. Its a piece of plastic! (I did remind myself this a few times.) I think I feel extra sympathy because maybe if we didn't snap her up some lovely little girl would've found her and loved her for the next 5 years! (Or maybe she would've ended up in
Sid's collection!! Ack!) Then I finished the hair chopping and we wrapped her up in linen, tweaking her plastic arms up so that they could be folded across her chest, like a true mummy.

Both Alan and his mom (who is here visiting) have declared that she is creepy, and I may have glimpsed them both shuddering upon walking by her. Whatever. I think she's cool.
.
3 Comments:
OMHeck, that IS creepy, but at the same time very cool. I don't know if this is the same as how you think about objects, but every once and awhile I feel sorry for the hotpads when I take something out of the oven. ?? Brains are weird. Your kids are fun.
Rae is due to start kindergarten in the fall but we are going to home school. I don't have a clue as to where to start. Any suggestions? ashley.rae.wright at gmail.com
That is sooo cool! Hopper you need to go on wife swap and properly represent home schooling moms!!!! I'm going to be in California in mid April for a few weeks...call me!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home