Random TV Ramblings
When we moved to Southern California, we got rid of our tv. We prided ourselves on our infrequent television watching, and used our computer for the occasional movie. But then Fall came, and along with it, a host of Season Premiers which we, of course, couldn't miss. Soon, we were searching for episodes on the internet and managing to watch a decent portion of tv again, though we technically still didn't own a tv. Due to tremendous generosity, we have recently acquired a very cool new tv which we love. Its still plugged into our computer though.
I have to say, the tv via the internet is becoming more and more of a viable option, and I'm a big fan of the flexibility that it offers. If I'm putting my kids to bed at 8 when a show starts, no worries, I'll watch it later tonight, or tomorrow or whenever (though sometimes I have to wait longer for shows to be available, too. For now, I'm behind, so it doesn't matter). The best part for me though is that channel surfing is no longer an option. It is impossible to spend 2 hours sitting in front of the tv, surfing through channels with lame content and never finding anything I'm interested in enough to stop. I loathe myself when I waste my time that way, but I do it when its an option.
Our latest obsession has been Prison Break. I'd heard the name before, but knew no more about it than that. Alan's cousin Melanie basically forced us to watch the show by sending it to us and guilting us into giving it a try (j/k Melanie. It wasn't really that bad!) We were quickly hooked, watching a disc a night (which contains 4 episodes). We were sleep deprived and grouchy all day, but very entertained, so it was worth it, right? We've learned a bit of restraint since then, but we're just catching up on Season 4 which is currently on air.
We've been watching Lost, too, along with everyone else, it seems, but what is going on? I'm following the storyline, yes, but it often seems that there are far more questions than answers, and that when something's answered, its done very partially, then left behind and forgotten. What is the black smoke? Are the polar bears supposed to be explained by the time travel? I still don't feel like "the others" behavior has been satisfactorily explained. Kidnapping children? Killing people? We're the good guys? The Hatch with the button? Dead people materializing? What is Ben's deal? And those are just the first questions to pop into my head. There are many, many, many more. Are we really going to get answers to these things at some point, or are they just hoping we'll forget about them? I'm not so sure, but they'd better be going somewhere with all this.
We've also become heavily dependent on Netflix - even the kids are getting involved. While I don't want them sitting in front of the tv all day (!!!), I don't want them to be completely oblivious to pop culture. The Power Rangers has been the latest attraction, with Kung Fu Panda coming in at a close second. It hilarious to see Ethan intently watching for the mailman, and asking at 7am if the mail's arrived yet. He asked to watch Kung Fu Panda about 45 times in 5 days. It was the first thing he asked about when he woke up in the morning.
I'm not sure what the point of all this is, but its on my mind as I'm sitting here, trying to convince myself that since its currently 12:08am, I do not have time to watch one more Prison Break, and that I'll like myself much more tomorrow if I opt for sleep instead. Oh temptation...

4 Comments:
Haha, well, I just did what needed to be done. Guilt was the only tool at my disposal seeing as i don't live close enough to lock you guys in a room with PB playing on a continual loop!
I always watch such little TV in the summer that I start to think I don't need/want very much anymore. Then the fall lineup comes along and very soon I'm like, "reading, excersing, fresh air--overated!!" And i could literally fill up the comment box with rantings and ventings about Lost so I will just say: Ditto. Very happy to see you have a TV. If I can just now get you hooked up with Tivo, my work here will be done.
I know what you mean. I'm with you on Lost...I tend to chalk up all explanations to string theory. Mainly because I don't understand string theory--so it can explain a lot of things. Sometimes I just stay away from a show all together because I know I'll be eternally hooked. I'm like that with Heroes...I know I'll love it-hence, I STAY AWAY.
I'll definitely stay away from prison break then. It sounds really good.
How do you get a free TV? Never heard of Prison Break. We must be living in the last Century. Age is a nasty thing. You my want to check out our blog at www.rjnorman.blogspot.com
Wow, so your in southern Cali now? I have to catch up on your blog to find what's going on. We have a tv but not cable- so internet tv is what I do as well. I've only seen one episode of lost and was so lost watching it than i've never seen another- maybe i'll check it out online one of these days...
Post a Comment
<< Home