Marrying for the wrong reasons
Amara often becomes a bit melancholy at night when she's lying in bed and about to sleep. Tonight we had an interesting conversation. First, she said, "I liked it better before Ethan was here." She says this every once in awhile, and it always surprises me a bit because she really enjoys Ethan most of the time. I think its really a plea for a little more attention. Then, "But someday Ethan will get married." I suggested that she'd probably get married, too. She said, "I don't want to get married. But I want babies." Silence. Thinking. "And I want to wear a white wedding dress like at Kasey's wedding." More pondering. Its like she was having this distressing realization that if she wants to achieve her current goals, she'll need to marry one of those crazy boys! Or she's afraid she'll have to grow up and move away. Last year as her birthday approached, she got really sad about growing up too fast. Then she wanted to talk about meanies and nice guys and how you figure out how to marry a nice guy and what to do if you marry a meanie. "Do you run away if you marry a meanie?" And how handcuffs and prisons work. She also made a comment to the effect that if you marry a meanie he could do something bad to your wedding dress - like marrying a meanie would ruin your wedding day, but she hadn't even considered the daily and lifetime repercussions of marrying a meanie. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that my 4 year-old didn't consider how a potential marriage partner could effect her entire life, but still... The focus on only the wedding day is interesting. And where does the marrying fascination come from? Don't worry dear, I'll gladly give lots of input on your potential boyfriends.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home