THE City
Like everyone who lives or has grown up next to a large metropolis the term "THE city" is generally used to refer to the local population center. At business school it was funny because on occasion someone would use the term THE city and everyone would have a different idea of which city they were referring to. For some of the New Yorkers there could be only one city, using the term for any other large populous was heresy. For those of us who grew up in or near the bay area THE city is San Francisco, and over the past few weeks I have had the opportunity to be in THE city while helping out a start up that I am working with.
Last week we presented to a group of angel investors in the restaurant at the top of 555 California. While I've seen a number of great views from buildings in the city I think that top of that one is probably the most impressive. Of course, it shouldn't be a surprise since the building is home to the top investment banks and consulting firms.

Anyway, I wanted to mention two things in the this post. Both are about food. First, Dim Sum has got to be one of the greatest inventions of mankind. It's like never ending Chinese junk food! And there are few places that do dim sum better than San Francisco. After the meeting I headed straight to get dim sum.

On Friday I was back in the city for a meeting on the waterfront, near the ferry terminal. In fact, I took the ferry into the ferry terminal from San Rafael. It's great fun, and I forget how fast they are.

Anyway, at the restaurant I was pleasantly surprised to see cioppino on the menu. Now, I probably should have ordered something that was easier to eat, considering it was a business meeting, but I couldn't resist.

I bring up both dim sum and cioppino because I continually run into people who are NorCal locals and have never had either. If you haven't then you are really missing out. Go to THE city and experiment...trust me, it will be worth the effort.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home