Sep 11, 2007

The Wonderful World of Disney

I think Disney's attempts to infiltrate my daughter's mind are almost complete. It freaks me out just a little bit. We've avoided this for awhile, and I thought maybe we were immune to it, but alas, it was only delayed. Amara watched so little TV as a tiny kid, and then got so into Nemo (also Disney, yes I know), but now the princesses are taking over! She just didn't care for a long time, but now.... Some examples:
Today we went to the library, and I told her she'd need to return some books from our last trip if she wanted to check out new ones. She carefully scoured her library collection, and eventually chose to take back every book she'd checked out except the Disney ones (Pocahontas, Snow White and Hercules). I had to remind her at the library that we probably have enough princess-type books at home and that she ought to pick out something else. And can I just say for a second that I am not a fan of the Disney books. I'm sure there are many varieties of Disney story books, but this series makes me crazy with strange quotes directly from the movie that are confusing if you haven't seen it lately. And don't get me started on the scantily clad characters in these books/movies that are geared toward small children.
She wants to be a princess for Halloween (Cinderella, specifically). It always makes me cringe a little when 90% of the little girls age 3-6 are princesses on Halloween. That's ok though - if Amara wants to do it, we'll go for it. And yes, I was a princess for one Halloween long ago, too.
And don't forget all the Cinderella paraphernalia that she requests - stickers, undies, shoes, etc.

Is her favorite color switch from red to pink also related to her princess obsession? And her declaration that she only likes pretty things? I don't know. I don't really think so, but the stereotypical girl stuff seems a bit sudden.

She's been curious about Mulan for awhile, which she hadn't seen, so we borrowed it from the library and watched it today. It was pretty intense for her in parts, and she has lots of questions during some of these "kid" movies. But the climax of the movie, where Mulan is fighting and trying to get away from a much larger man, was HILARIOUS. Amara was jumping all around the room in frenzied anticipation. Is Mulan ok? What's going to happen? Ack! I'm not exaggerating - she was jumping in circles, squealing, and alternating between looks of fright and moments of giggling at herself for being so nervous. I realized - that's exactly how I feel during intense movie moments, but I've never considered actually acting them out. You go girl.

Update: I hope I don't sound too negative about all this princess stuff. I'm not particularly bothered by the princesses, just wary of what kind of messages they're sending my kid, particularly now that she's become so obsessed with them.

2 Comments:

At 1:11 AM, Blogger cchrissyy said...

I can get a bit negative on Disney too. BTW, are you actually local now? want to do a petting farm trip or something?

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Bluebell said...

Mulan is probably my favorite Disney movie ever. I, too, am skeptical of the messages being sent out and the immodesty prevailing, but there's also a large part of me that loves fairy tales and adventure stories. I love the feminist themes of Mulan, though. And the music is great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home