Sep 20, 2006

Mechanic vs. Duct Tape

Today I bought duck/duct tape with the express purpose of using it to hold my car together. How can it have come to this? Embarrassingly, the reason that I am in need of duck tape is not simply that the car is old, but that I ran into a pole, and the car is too old to warrant spending the money to fix it, especially when we're intending on replacing it fairly soon. While I confess that it was quite stupid of me to run into a pole, it wasn't as bad as it sounds. I was in one of those cursed covered parking spots, and simply forgot as I was leaving that there was a nice pole about 2 inches from the back passenger side door. I couldn't really see the skinny pole from the driver's seat, and there were no cars around, so I turned the wheel sharply and began to reverse while looking out the back window. Imagine my horror when I turned forward to see I was about to hit the front corner of my car against a pole. I was just accelerating (and in reverse!), but I still managed to knock the front light loose, and its now anchored only by its electrical cord (but still works!) Sigh. That poor little car has certainly been good to me. Heck, I've had it since High School! I feel quite sad, and rather stupid about this.

You know, this car has had all of its major run ins while parked/in parking lots. Today was one. It was also rear-ended once at a stop light, and also side-swiped while parked in a parking lot. I certainly prefer being side-swiped in a parking lot (especially since no one was actually in our car), than being side-swiped on the freeway!

On a side note, my computer "battery problem" was not resolved with a new battery, so I'm now computerless for a few more days. Hopefully we'll be up and running again soon!

4 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Blogger Chelsa said...

I once had this roommate that I really didn't like living with. Many years later, I saw her in a resteraunt, and left the resteraunt and the parking lot with such panicky haste that I ran the car into a pillar (it was an underground parking garage). The car was quite dented, but I sure avoided an awkward conversation with that roommate!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Ian said...

Sorry Chelsa, I can't let you take the fall for me. I was the one driving. I hit the stationary pole. Chelsa was with me. We were leaving "Hunan" in Davis. Yah, that parking lot. But Chelsa's roomate was horrible, and really worth avoiding. For the record.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Bluebell said...

This one had me laughing out loud for a good while. I can relate to the car troubles. I've done a lot of dinging and bumping in the past. Not for several years, luckily. Austin and I, before we were dating, lived in the same apartment complex, which had an underground parking lot, and there were poles every two spaces. I hate those things.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Raging Wombat said...

I remember that car well. It will sad to see it be retired. I assume you'll keep it in your garage, and occassionally visit it, all the while feeling guilty that you didn't take better care of it. Eventually, over the years, it will rust away until one day you will make your obligatory visit and it will have expired during the night. Such is car ownership.

BTW, I think those poles were mandated by auto body repair shops as a means of ensuring a steady stream of business.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home