Recent concerns/thoughts from a 3 year-old
Amara's still worried about the fact that we're renting this house. She gathered up coins today so that we could use them to buy a place.
She doesn't want to get baptized because she's afraid of going underwater. She plans to wear her "googoo goggles". She knows that she's still got awhile to get over her fear of submerging herself, but she still worries (for the record, she's got 5 more years!!)
She's concerned that someone will "poke her hands and feet like Jesus." How sad is that? We've gone over this a number of times, and will probably continue to do so until she's resolved it all in her mind.
She was telling us about how bees make honey from lavender flowers, and I explained that sometimes we use beeswax to make candles. She offered to let the bees use the wax in her ears so that they could make candles. So selfless.
There's also a concern about going into the deep dark forest and seeing spiders tall up to the ceiling with sharp legs that can squish us. I think this comes from the spider-like space ships in Chicken Little, and the dark forest from some scripture stories?
If we run out of milk, we can just make some more. And here's how: take that white cream in the refrigerator, put it in the oven for 3 minutes, then open up the microwave, put it inside, and we have more milk! This may be related to the cream/milk used when we make ice cream?
I love it!!

8 Comments:
Tell Amara that Buppa H says that even though you are "borrowing" the house, the owner can't come in without your permission and her toys are off limits.
When she gets baptized, she will go under the water just like Nemo.
I'm with her on the spider thing. Maybe she saw the Hobbit story some time.
I tried her recipe for milk and it worked!
As for Jesus, you're on your own.
Regarding the holes in the hands and feet, you should have her read up on Catholic traditions of various saints receiving the stigmata. That should help. Start with St. Francis of Assissi.
You are on your own on the spider thing. My fears are even more deeply embedded than hers.
Genna is afraid of some unknown creature that she calls the 'dang dang monster.' She alternates between running away from it and 'squirting' it with toys. Kids are so funny.
Amara is very insightful, though. About the renting thing, have you talked to her about eviction, foreclosure, landlord-tenant obligations, and the like? That might help her, too.
this stuff is exactly what I love about kids, and it's what motivates me to keep going for the first 2-3 years!
I want to know what they're thinking about as they learn everything. I like to hear dreams and memories and impressions and reasoning...
Owen has issues about renting, too. Especially since all of our friends have moved away in the last year or two. He knows that we'll move too, so he alternately asks repeatedly if we'll take such and such with us when we move and if things around the apartment belong to us. "Who owns this door?" "Does the closet belong to [student housing]?" "When we move, will we take my piggy bank with us?" He's also concerned about being baptized. At least he was a few months ago. And I was just reading to him a couple nights ago about the atonement and he nearly burst into tears, he was so sad that Jesus bled from every pore, etc. Weird how our kids are having the same issues this week. By the way, do you remember when he used to call Amara "Guh-mara"? We were reminiscing about that recently. His aunt was "Guh-manda" and Allie's baby sister was "Guh-liza".
buppa-I've tried the Nemo thing with water to facilitate hair washing, but I still meet major resistence every time!
bluebell-I totally remember the Guh-mara thing!
Last night Amara was also worrying about death. She said if I die before her, that daddy would just have to drive her up to heaven. She was looking pretty worried. Wow I love that girl.
oh wow, we have't done death yet except all squished in the sentatnce "and then he got up and lived again and we will too! yay!"
Interestingly enough, being submerged underwater scares a lot of adults I met in Korea. I knew a woman who was completely active for over a year before getting baptized. She was deathly afraid of going under. So Amara is in good company.
Those are so amusing! How sad about Jesus!! :( When I showed Ev pictures of Jesus' hands, he just couldn't comprehend why anyone would want to hurt him. 3 year olds have the cutest curiosity. I love it.
Post a Comment
<< Home