Jan 24, 2006

Counting Sheep

What is the deal with kids and sleep anyways? I came to terms 3 years ago with the fact that little babies don't know how to fall asleep on their own and they need help getting there. I don't mind waking up a few times at night, as long as I feel rested the next day, no biggie. But why wake up after 30 minutes if you're still tired (Ethan)? And why the inability to sleep a little later in the morning to compensate for lost sleep (Amara)? About a week ago, Amara woke up around 2 am. Alan brought her into our bed, assuming she'd snuggle up and go back to sleep (she used to do this regularly), but no! First she cried off and on for an hour out of pure grumpiness. She just could not get calmed down and was totally unreasonable. Perhaps she was tired! Then she calmed down and tried really hard to be quiet so we could sleep, but she's 3 and has a short attention span. Every 5 minutes - "Look! The sun's up! Can we have waffles now?" Umm... have you seen the sun? Its a bright ball of fire that lights up the sky! Its 4 am and completely dark! Not to mention the attempts to comfort Ethan every time she heard him breath! She'd sit up and repeat, "What's the matter? What's the matter:" She was just wide awake for about 3 hours, finally fell asleep, and then, of course, was raring to go at 6. I take comfort in the fact that there are about a million books devoted to baby sleep solutions, all with different advice. Good thing they're so cute when they ARE asleep!

2 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Bluebell said...

Way cute photo! He is so sweet. I have kind of an obsession with sleeping photos-I have way too many of them. Somehow I could never resist that peaceful little face. I feel for you with the sleep woes (and it's about to get worse, one can only assume). Owen often wakes up with nightmares and screams but never really wakes up. It's very difficult. It seems to have gotten better, though.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger HornInFBb said...

tell me about it!
hang in there. I loved taking sleeping photos too, and now I have a deceptive representation of that timeframe. It's as if any time E actaully fell asleep and I coudl reach a camera, I had to document the miracle!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home