Jan 23, 2006

Arg...Carseats

I just spent about 2 hours trying to figure out a carseat for Amara to move up to. We still have a few months, but Ethan may hit the 20 lb mark before too long and need to move up to a convertable carseat (He's already over 16lbs). Its quite a task sometimes to figure out what we're supposed to have, what's got a good safety rating, and what consumers really like. I kept finding great safety ratings that actual people hated! I must admit that I'm tempted to just buy the smallest, most portable seat available for our travels. Dragging multiple carseats through the airport in addition to luggage and kids is crazy! There has to be a better way, especially when 8 year olds are still using boosters. I remember when I was a kid, my friend's family rented a giant van for a road trip, took out all the seats, and used the van as a moving play/sleep room. Times have changed and I feel old, yet safer...

3 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Bluebell said...

I know, what a pain. I don't have a favorite brand or anything like that but it makes the most sense to me (and this is a pain, of course) to let Owen actually sit in it and see if it's comfortable, how it fits him, etc. I also want the buckling mechanisms to be user friendly. Usually at Target and Costco and wherever else they have a model out so you can see it outside of the box. Good luck! P.S. Owen was such a fat baby (somehow I knew he would be, I think my family just has fat babies) that I never even bought an infant seat, and I was glad I didn't because he would have been out of it at 3 months! We had the 5-80lbs convertible and loved it.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger stina said...

Yeah-both my babes have been big, too. I'm sad to see the infant seat go this time. Its been handy to buckle in the baby inside the house while Amara takes 10 minutes velcroing (hey-weird word) her shoes, or to safely be able to set baby down for a second if I need both hands to help Amara... oh well. We'll adjust.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger HornInFBb said...

you probably know, we're Britax layalists here.
We have 5 now
The infnat seat comapnion 5lb-29
2 roundabouts 5-22 rearfacing,20-35 forwardfacing
a husky (22-80lbs forward facing)

all those are 5pt harnesses. then we have one belt-positioning booster, Britax Parkway, that E just hit the minimum height for.

Britax has better crashfoama dn uses it over more body area than other brands. Also side impact protection on some models, and never-twist straps. Also, their rearfacing seats don't rebound on impact. We've felt completely unwilling to use any other rearfacing seat, because only britax makes tethers and antirebound bars.

carseat FAQ. Great archive from an old board
the active board
we've used googles "froogle.com" to find the cheapest online baby store for this stuff. you'll almost certinatly save with that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home