Big $$
Out of curiosity, I checked our car out in the Kelly Blue Book and wow! If we were to trade it in, we'd get less than $100! That just makes me laugh. If we sold it directly to someone, I think we could get about $500. The great part is, if something happened to our car, would our insurance kick in and give us a couple hundred bucks? That would sure help us on our way to getting a new car!
I'd like to point out that this is the car I've been driving since high school. Its served me well. Over the years, its developed a number of endearing quirks.
1. The flap on the visor that covers the mirror falls down. This is very safe when driving - a flap falls down, obstructing the driver's view at any given moment! Fortunately, if the visor is kept up, the flap cannot fall down. Good thing I have sunglasses.
2. The lock on one of the rear doors no longer responds to the power lock button. It actually got stuck locked for awhile (not fun to put a kid in a car seat that you can't reach), so I just leave it unlocked. (Advantage of having old, worthless car: can leave unlocked w/o major concern).
3. Gas tank does not always open. There's a latch inside the glove compartment to open the tank. If it doesn't work, a second person is required to open the tank. I'm working on training Amara, as this can be problematic if I'm on empty.
4. There are mysterious scratches on the interior ceiling.
5. Discolored spots on the hood (it was repainted once for this reason, but its doing it again!).
6. The power door lock panel on the passenger side is just hanging there thanks to loading a dolly in our car during a recent move!
7. I know there are more!
Other advantage of old, worthless car: Can park right by the shopping carts. Advantageous if one has two small children. No more worries about cart rolling into car because who cares!
In an effort to save money, we only have one car. Alan walks to school, and I drive the car, as needed. Fortunately, it runs well!! Some day, we'll live it up and get a minivan.

3 Comments:
Having an old beater car (like mine) is liberating. You don't have to worry about keeping it nice, and those who own nice cars keep their distance. It is very Zen.
Kristina, you are a funny gal.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home