Stitches part1 & 2
Alan and I have recently joined the ranks of worried and traumatized parents who hold their poor children down so they can get stitches.
On Memorial Day weekend, Mathis was doing "The Superman" on a swing out back (imagine laying on your stomach on the swing, arms outstretched) and managed to take a face-first tumble and split his chin wide open. It was a pretty deep gash, so naturally, I panicked. Fortunately, I kept the panic mostly on the inside, but I realized I was freaking out a bit when I scooped up Mathis and almost ran out the door immediately. A brief moment of calm reminded me that since he wasn't bleeding uncontrollably, it would probably be wise to slow down, grab some snacks, a change of clothes, etc. We managed to get to Urgent Care, the doctors were great and let us hold Mathis while they stitched him up, and we were on our way. (It didn't really seem that simple, but I'm not sure I want to relive those moments again.) Mathis replayed the events of the day many times over the weekend, and slowly things healed up and he was left with a red scar that would eventually fade.
(You know, in the past when I've see these somewhat graphic injury photos on blogs/Facebook, I'll admit to thinking, "Oh come on! Is that necessary?" Yet here I am, feeling compelled to include the most gnarly looking picture I have in my library. I did make it smaller though, if that helps.)
Anyways, it was still red, but definitely improving until this morning. Again, superhero play was involved. Mathis had just emerged from the shower and wanted to jump off my bed using his towel as wings. He's done this before, but the towel always makes it seem rather precarious. Before he even made it up onto the bed, I heard a scream and saw him laying on the floor wrapped in his towel burrito style. Apparently, being unable to break your fall because your arms are sandwiched to your sides makes your chin more likely to take a beating.
When we arrived at Urgent Care we got an, "Again?!" from the nurse, who remembered us from last time! Fortunately, the cut was less severe than last time, and we were able to opt for glue instead of stitches. I took a picture of it last night and Mathis asked to see it. The sight of the picture sent him to my bed, head in hands, distressed. Here's to hoping we remain infection free, and in a few short days we're back on the mend!!!!!!!
He's happily running around tonight-it seems to have been less traumatic/ sore than the first time. Hallelujah!


2 Comments:
Wow! Poor kid! I have to admit that I love the graphic picture. =) Years from now it will help you remember just how bad it really was. Glad he's okay (and you are, too...sometimes I think it's more traumatic for the parents!).
That was me, by the way. Sorry!
Post a Comment
<< Home