Stingray Stings Hurt

Yesterday I kicked a stingray while swimming at lunch and took a stinger hit on the toe. It really sucked! I had to keep my foot in uncomfortably hot water for 2 hours. The pain wasn't extreme, but the one that got me was small. I can see how people could be incapacitated by a large sting (actually "puncture wound") where they are far from medical attention.
The venom apparently spreads and becomes very painful, but since it is a heat-labile protein hot water (130+ F) breaks it down.

6 Comments:
Well, that will teach you not to go around kicking poor-unsuspecting underwater creatures!
I hope your toe is better soon.
Is that an actual picture of the guy who got you?? He looks awful smug.
Kudos to you for knowing right what to do. I probably would have laid on the beach, writhing in agony, waiting for a one Dominic Purcell to come rescue me. What?? It could happen...
I guess spending your lunch on the sunny beaches of California, with the wind in your hair, sand between your toes, and a cool off-shore breeze does have some drawbacks. I'm still jealous of your "lunch room."
Ouch!!! I'm still jealous you're so close to the beach.
Crikey!
That sounds like a very bad experience.
Post a Comment
<< Home