Aug 28, 2009

Excuses, excuses

I guess we all have excuses that we use to get out of things we don't want to do. Ethan, however, has perfected the art. The boy has a handful of backup excuses that he uses when he gets desperate. They're pretty standard, "I'm too tired" being the favorite. He occasionally uses that one when he's having a meltdown, but mostly when he doesn't want to do something. Its his way of saying, "If you want me to do that, you're going to have to physically drag me because I'm planning to lay here and 'rest'." Most excuses are much more creative and situation specific. Last night he really wanted a snack before bed. We had eaten dinner recently and were already in the bedroom with the teeth brushed, reading. He even asked if I'd let him eat the next morning because he was starving! (FYI - I never deny him food at mealtime, which he seems to be implying). He then went on to tell me that he loves brushing his teeth (Really? Then why do you run away whenever I attempt it??) and will gladly do it again after his snack! "I want to brush my teeth again! Why won't you let me have a snack so I can brush two times!?" Not letting him brush multiple times when he loves it does seem downright mean. Tonight he tried a similar tactic, but I agreed to let him have a small glass of milk before bed. After the lights went out, here's what he came up with: Mom, can I please have a snack? I don't just like to have liquid. Sometimes I want to chew." There are so many of these that he comes up with. Such a crack up! I only wish I could think of more right now.

3 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

I am cracking up over here, he is such a hoot! I used to hate it when they let their body go limp. If they did it in a store, I'd be so mortified that I'd frantically whisper that if they would just get up off the floor I'd get them whatever they were mad about. Now I either leave them on the floor, walk away and tell them to enjoy their new home "the store" or drag them down the aisle. It turns out more embarrasing for them!!

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Hey! It's so much fun to find your blog. Congratulations! on your pregnancy. I hope you take some pregger pictures. I always mean to take pictures but I'm never in the right clothes or its not the right time or the right lighting... until it's too late. It's the one thing I regret.
Amara is beautiful and your boy is hilarious. I love Rescue Dog but "full body pout" is hilarious!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Ethan is so funny! I have to admit he does have some good points.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home