School has now been in full swing for 2 weeks. It has been a busy start, but a lot of fun. I didn't expect the switch from lazy summer days to a busy scheduled week to be such a shock to my system! Anyway, I'm happy to report that we've got some fun things planned and a few friend learning groups in the works again. One thing I've learned this year is that I should do more advance preparation. I didn't do any prep ahead of time last year, because everything was so new and I wasn't too sure what I was doing. This year I wish I'd gotten our school books earlier before we were starting so I could get organized and decide what I wanted to change or develop before the craziness began. For the last two weeks, I get everyone to bed and the dishes washed and chores done, relax for a few minutes, and then wonder how it can already be midnight and when I'm going to finish getting organized! I'm finally getting there, but its felt a little crazy.

Here are Amara and Ethan at our art class this year. One thing that's been exciting for me is seeing Ethan so interested in fully participating this year. Last year, he just kind of kept busy while Amara and I worked, waiting for us to be done. This year, he's suddenly very interested in writing and drawing, so he's been very involved in schoolwork.

Here's his rough draft of a frog that he's about to paint. Love it!

We also took a field trip to one of the California Missions. The kids were fascinated by this table of Native American items - baskets, instruments, animal skins, etc.

Here's Ethan, very focused on making an accurate representation of a basket for his record book.

Here's our little group by one of the fountains.

Amara is obsessed with teaching Ethan her own set of lessons. Let me tell you, that girl is dedicated. She wants to do Alphabet Lessons every day. She set up the mini table in our living room, including snacks and drinks and a lined wipe off board. She reviews the letter with Ethan, they practice writing it, and then they talk about and draw things that begin with that letter. She's awesome, isn't she? And he usually goes along with it and works really hard to complete his assignments. The only problem here is that Amara is a grand planner, and may spend a full hour drawing out pictures or preparing things, then be left with no time to actually do the lessons, or a brother who's given up and started some other project. Oh well. This one went especially well because there were snacks involved...
4 Comments:
Good for you Christina!!! I'm exhausted thinking about all you do. Wow. Amara's teaching story is hilarious. I can just imagine her prepping and Ethan waiting, getting bored and starting his own activity.
(* This comment has nothing to do with the post *)
Hey Alan, I think I just interviewed your brother (on about the 9th of September).
Amara is amazing. What a great teacher.
That's a great looking group.
Wow, you are super mom! I don't know how you do it all while being pregnant. You are very inspiring.
Post a Comment
<< Home