I Was There Not Long Ago...
I was detached from the attack on the WTC in 2001. I had never been to NYC and though it affected me, it didn't feel as personal to me as I know it did to the people who knew the area.
Since that time there have been a number of incidents around the world in places that I have had more familiarity with and the impact for me was deeper. Well, tonight I was reading the news accounts of the attacks in India, mourning the loss of life when I came across some pictures of the Taj Hotel on fire.
The photo brought an intense feeling of familiarity, but I discounted it at first since I have only spent 24 hours in Mumbai. Then poking around for more information I realized that during those 24 hours I ate lunch at the Cafe that was shot up, got on a train at the station were some violence occurred, and stopped into the hotel a few times.
While the attacks are no more, or less tragic they now feel very personal. It is likely that some of the people that waited on me and my friends were victims.
Here is a link to a map of the area a description of the attacks at the NYT.

1 Comments:
When I was in NY, walking around the WTC area, it gave me this creepy feeling to picture being there on 9/11. Something about physically being in a place that has seen evil like that is really unsettling. Seeing places attacked that I had personally been to would have been even more unnerving and personal.
Post a Comment
<< Home