Nov 22, 2008

A Chat with Melanie About TV Shows

My cousin Melanie and I had an interesting conversation about TV shows through email. The conversation was brief and I had some things to say on the subject that I thought would make for decent blog post but I was having a hard time making the time to write it.

So, I thought I would give her a call and we could record our conversation as a podcast.

So, enjoy episode 1 of the Melanie and Alan show, its about 30 minutes long:


MelanieAlan_E01P01.mp3

8 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Ian said...

Not bad, Alan. You still have a Davis/Valley accent!

a.Batman would win. He knows who he is.

b.Chelsa and I stream all our T.V. too...computer is wired to T.V. screen.

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Chuck, Hate worst enemy, no interest in Prison Break. I can't believe you didn't talk about Stargate Atlantis. I am not happy this is the last season, but look forward to Stargate Universe. AND Captain Kirk would win anything hands down! CANT WAIT for the new movie in May! For that, I would go to the midnight show.
Loved the reviews. You should do some more! (Cindy)

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Ian,

You are quite right that I still have the Davis accent. It was really strange to listen to myself after recording it. I think part of the problem was that I was a bit nervous about the recording and I kept throwing in "like". (Perhaps I was defaulting to my "roots")

Aunt Cindy,

Are you saying that Kirk would rise to the top in a Kerrick Meadows Death Match? Wow, I am not sure Kirk has made it into our laddering yet. He might have a chance since his crew would beam him up to to the Enterprise and then he could lay waste to the competition from space. I'll have to note that one for next year. And I will also have to take the time to post the rules

And Stargate Atlantis...well,..I have no intention of talking about that one; but if you want to get on the phone with us and defend the show then that can be arranged.

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know your rules or the different scenarios, but I think under any circumstances Kirk could win. Look at all the things he got out of and beat,all without wearing a shirt! And, yes-when the writers couldn't think of anything else for him to do to get out of a scrape, he would be beamed up at the exact moment once again escaping death. It doesn't get much better than that.
My voice sounds really bad on a recording, so I'll pass-but let me just say that the Stargate Franchise are shows that a) have a plot b) no bad language c) take a great imagination because they have to use technology that hasn't been invented yet. And, since they don't take time up with everyone sleeping with everyone else, there is actually a story and humor and lot's of fun. My kids have teased me for years over these shows, but they are really good and funny. Any fans???

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Mom, i love you, but we have been through this! we will not be reviewing Stargate, nor andromeda nor earth final conflict!

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Buppa H said...

Move over Ebert & Roeper!

Great commentary.

Go Chuck!

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Elisa said...

I liked listening to your TV reviews. I hadn't heard of a lot of those shows...I'll have to check out Life. We saw the first episode of Chuck last season but I didn't get into it...I guess I'll have to watch a few more before I rule it out. I TOTALLY agree about the Office. We loved that show but the last two seasons have been all about the cringe factor. The show is no longer funny. Doug and I now find ourselves excited to watch 30 Rock (comes on after the Office) instead. It's really witty and Alec Baldwin is hilarious. You should check it out if you haven't already. It's similar to Arrested Development (a favorite show of ours) in that you have to watch a few shows before you appreciate it. Anyway, I really did enjoy your commentary...it sounds like there are some great shows on TV that we don't even know about. Thanks.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you liked it Elisa. I haven't watched many episodes of 30 Rock but I did catch the one with Steve Martin and it was a great episode. Tina Fey is a solid comedy writer. Perhaps with Office going downhill I can add a few more episodes of 30 rock into the mix.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home