Aug 31, 2008

Hush Little Baby. No seriously. Stop crying.

As I was going through Amara's pile of artwork from the last few months, I found some lyrics that she wrote to replace the ones from the song, "Hush Little Baby."  Ethan becomes distraught to the point of tears whenever I sing that song.  The first time I sang it to him, he cried, and I thought it must have been the mocking bird that wouldn't sing and the billy goat running away.  A few weeks later, in a moment of desperation, I forgot about his aversion and started singing it in an attempt to distract.  His lip started to quiver, and he asked, "Why don't you want me to say a word?"  Then he broke into tears.  Poor kid.  We don't sing that song too much around here anymore.  

Here's Amara's version:

Nighty little sweetie.
Dream well little sweetie pie.
When you wake up you will see Mom.
Sweetie pie.

The tune resembles the original at parts.  Not so much in others.

On a side note: Does anyone have any recommendations on how to save your child's artwork?  Amara draws many pictures every day.  Its tough to pare it down, but what to do with what remains?  I've tried putting them in sleeves in a binder, but frankly, with the volume of pictures, its a bit too time consuming to do it that way.  So.... ideas??

4 Comments:

At 6:19 AM, Blogger the letter "J" said...

If they are just on standard sized paper, you can try scanning them into the computer, file them according to month and then at the end of the year burn them onto a cd. If they are larger than standard paper or 3-d take a couple of good pictures of them and do the same. Just a suggestion! :o)

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

wow, julie's idea is really great. i was just going to add that my mom had what she called a "keep forever box" for each of us. a big plastic bin where she kept artwork, report cards, awards, etc. with the quantity she has i just immediatley though of that. ok, and how sweet is ethan to pick up on those words and be sad about them?? most lulluby's are a little twisted, not sure what that's all about!

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send them to the grandparents!! I knew someone who used their kids artwork to fill up the boxes when they sent presents so others in their family could enjoy their work!(Cindy)

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

That's a tough one for me. I hate clutter (not that my kids artwork is clutter, but you know..). I do the scan thing, AND the "keep" box, and much of it just gets thrown away. but now I'm thinking I should send it to grandparents in binders for holidays.

That is hilarious about the sleeping song! I actually make up my own lyrics to that one too, since I don't know the real ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home