May 30, 2007

Soccer!

Thanks to a friend at Nissan I was invited to play in an adult soccer league in Nashville as part of the Nissan team. I forgot how much I miss playing.

The last few months I played a bit of IM soccer, but it really wasn't the same. I realized it when I lined up to play for the first time. In the IM league I played whatever was open. It was disorganized, 7 a side, and a short field. Last week we had our first game and I made sure to ask to play in the forward position I grew up at. It was really surreal.

First I walked out with our team captain for the coin toss. We got the rundown from the refs on their habits and what special requests they wanted and then I walked out with my new strike partner, Bryant, for the kickoff. (We play a 4-4-2) Getting ready for kickoff brought back a rush of memories. While I had never played with the guys on the field, there was something very familiar about the view. I played soccer through most of my formative years, and I have been in that same position at the half line hundreds of times. Being there again, with full uniforms, a team and a full contingent of refs really was amazing. I even got butterflies right before kickoff. (I had put myself on the line a bit for requesting a forward position and I really felt I had to prove myself.)

Thankfully, I played well. I opened the sheet with a goal in the first five minutes, and with a few more shots off the post I cemented my forward position. We tied the first game 2-2 and we just finished our second game tonight, winning 3-0. (I opened up the game with the first goal, again :), so I guess I get to keep playing forward! ) While my skills have deteriorated it is really amazing being back in a competitive environment. And I really love the camaraderie of being on a team again.

Though, playing soccer regularly means that I will have to live with lots of aches and pains....and blackened toenails:



This picture is after a week of healing. After tonight's game it looks a lot worse. But that is part of the fun! :)

1 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Ian said...

Way to go doing something physical. My sister Jean (one great younger then us) plays a bit of soccer. Chelsa and I have vowed to live a more active life now that we have a couple kids to keep up with. I need to get up earlier and run or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home