Things You Don't Know....
The other day Kristina informed me that she had discovered a poem that I had written and placed on a piece of paper in my back pocket. I was a bit confused since I don't write poetry. I soon realized that what she had found in my pocket was a poem that I had printed out and was carrying with me to memorize.
For about a decade I have been printing out famous poems, or stanzas, and memorizing them whenever I travel. It was a strange thing that Kristina discovered the poem since I came to the realization that not only had I never told Kristina about the habit, but I have never told anyone. Nor have I ever cited the poems to anyone. I memorize them strictly for my benefit. Anyway, here is the latest famous selection that I am working on, it is a noted passage from Virgil:
'T was dead of night, when weary bodies close
Their eyes in balmy sleep and soft repose:
The winds no longer whisper thro' the woods,
Nor murm'ring tides disturb the gentle floods.
The stars in silent order mov'd around;
And Peace, with downy wings, was brooding on the ground
The flocks and herds, and party-color'd fowl,
Which haunt the woods, or swim the weedy pool,
Stretch'd on the quiet earth, securely lay,
Forgetting the past labors of the day.
All else of nature's common gift partake:
Unhappy Dido was alone awake.
Nor sleep nor ease the furious queen can find;
Sleep fled her eyes, as quiet fled her mind.
Despair, and rage, and love divide her heart;
Despair and rage had some, but love the greater part.
-The Aenid (Book IV, Dysan Translation)
Its strange that there are still the occasional thing that Kristina doesn't know about me.
(As an aside, Kristina has also only recently noted that I have the bad habit of biting my nails. An unfortunate trait that I share with Elisa, along with the horrible propensity to procrastination.)

7 Comments:
Hey I found that someone you know, knows Bryan's cousin. What a small world. I was looking on their blog and was just checking out their friends' blogs and found yours on theirs. I hope that made sense. Anyways, it's the family of perpetual motion. The Nilssons. I don't know them though. Bryan's cousins are the Lowrys in Ventura (I think they are living there). I hope that all made sense. I just thought it was funny.
I'm pretty sure Doug noticed my bad habit of nail-biting from day one (since they are so short)...and yet he still married me!
Anyway, I think that's cool you memorize poetry. Can you still recite poems you've learned long ago?
I too am a memorizer--didn't realize we had that in common. Although I tend to choose poems and quotes that are a little more simplistic . . . :-)
Elisa,
Everything that I take the time to memorize seems to stick. I don't remember anything that I have memorized and then lost. :)
I still remember stuff from grade school that I was forced to memorize. (Like the definition of Yttrium).
Things stick probably because I tend to memorize poems, quotes and passages that are important to me in some way and that I think of from time to time.
In fact, what usually happens is that I will be in a situation where I want to recall something but I can't remember the quote or poem exactly and out of frustration I put it in my "memorize" list.
Tierra,
Yep, we know the crew from perpetual motion. (I don't want to use names on the blog since I don't know how they handle blog privacy issues online.) Cool people. We met in Davis.
That's quite the memory that you have there. I really wish I could remember stuff from grade school. My friends will say "remember that time?" and I'm thinking "not really". Anyway, kudos.
Well, I need to point out that my memory isn't all that good. It is more a function of determination in a few instances. In general, the things I memorize are quite hidden from my mind until something sparks recall.
Post a Comment
<< Home