Jan 29, 2007

Literacy

I love these pictures of these two, side by side on the couch, engrossed in their various books.




And then Ethan's - Hmmm... What is big sister doing??


I've been trying to step things up a little for Amara and reading. We've got "The BFG" by Roald Dahl at home now, and she has no problem sitting and listening for awhile, but I'm not really sure yet how closely she's following the story. She'll occasionally comment on funny words and things like that, but when I quiz her about the story, she's vague on the details. We'll see how it goes.

She's also improving at sounding out short words. For instance, if I asked her how to spell cat, she could tell me that it starts with a c sound and ends with a t sound, and she may even figure out the a, though she's more advanced on the consonant sounds at this point.

On a side note: Ethan now calls Spongebob "Beebeebob". Amara and I laughed and laughed the first time that came out of his mouth!

5 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger Bluebell said...

We're using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Siegfried Engelmann. Austin's mom, who taught kindergarten for several years and has a master's degree in reading, recommended it to us. It's very user friendly and Owen is sounding out words on the page now. Crazy! Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there in case you're interested. The forward says it's for bright 4-year-olds and average 5-year-olds. And if you remember Erin Hakes, she used it with Allie probably a year ago and Allie is reading at a 2nd grade level. And that was six months ago. I've never been one to push academics but now that Owen is interested we're going for it. Sorry you guys have been sick! We've been sick a lot, too.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger stina said...

bluebell - thanks! I've been wanting some guidance and that sounds perfect. So, is it some kind of workbook, or is it for me to just read? Really, I'm wondering if I should buy it, or if I can just read it at the library.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Bluebell said...

It's kind of a workbook. It has numbered lessons that you go through with your child, so unless you have unlimited renewal privileges you'll probably want to buy it. I bought ours used online for a pretty decent price.

There is a really good intro just for parents at the beginning, all about reading and sounds and how to go about it. But the part that I really like is that each lesson is spelled out for you. There are numbered tasks, and for each task it has a dialogue, with what the parent says in one color and the rest in black. It makes it really easy for someone like me =)

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger stina said...

bluebell, are you still considering homeschooling??

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Bluebell said...

Yes, we're planning on it. Owen is so excited that we consider the things we're doing already as homeschooling, but we're not official with the district yet. Other homeschoolers in the ward have recommended we don't register until necessary. Are you considering it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home