Moving observations
Ok-so I've noticed a few things over the past week about moving/our new place, and while they're all random, they're too brief to require individual posts.
As I've been sorting through the kids' toys over the last few days, I've set aside a few that I'm planning to give away, thinking that they don't play with them anymore or they haven't been missed during their lengthy stay in storage. Somehow though, leaving it out in plain view like that seems to make it more attractive than ever before, and it becomes the kids' favorite new toy. It makes purging our stuff, which is already difficult for me, even more agonizing. It does remind me though, that sometimes kids will play with whatever's easiest to access, and that toys on top shelves will often be neglected, even if they're cool. I definitely ought to rearrange the closet regularly.
Next thought - Our last three residences have been relatively isolated and quiet. Now, we're living in a condo in a densely populated area. We have some new neighbors, and let's just say that I'm going to have to make a conscious effort to avoid getting addicted to listening in on their soap opera lives. Ok-its not really that bad, but in the last few minutes that I've been back here typing, I've heard all kinds of shenanigans. And I've heard more F words in the last 5 minutes than I've heard in the last 5 years. I haven't actually ever seen these people, but I can't help but hear snippets about their lives. And I have a feeling that they will be big snippets, since they often talk loudly at night about all kinds of private details of their lives. I hear other neighbors coming and going, but .... its different. I don't feel like I know all the details of their lives (though they are usually speaking Spanish....maybe that's why, but I really don't think so). I'm sure the neighbors are often cursing us when the kids are screaming at each other.
One more-I've spent most of my life resisting (and sometimes ridiculing) country music. But when we lived in Nashville I found myself listening to it more and even liking it. I'm not really sure why actually - Nashville is the country capitol, but its also a hub for all kinds of music. Anyway, now that we live in California again, I find myself missing it a bit, and somehow, listening to country while I drive along the beach just doesn't seem to "fit" in the same way that it did in Nashville.
On a side note, my computer died, and the hard drive is currently being replaced. Because I'm lame, most of my stuff isn't backed up, and I've been even more of a slacker than usual because of the move, so .... I may be emailing for addresses and the like soon. Luckily, we have a plethora of computers, so I'm not completely out of touch.
Side note #2: Today Ethan dumped Cheerios all over my bed, then proceeded to repeatedly brush his hand across the bed, scattering Cheerios EVERYWHERE. I relayed this story to Alan on the phone later, and told Alan that Ethan's actions did not make me happy. After I hung up, I heard Ethan telling Amara, "But it makes me happy!" Great.

4 Comments:
Talk about the "private" commentary of our neighbor: I have discovered that the man is ex military and the woman got released from jail at the beginning of last month.
(She gets on her cell phone and paces across from our bedroom window yelling about court dates and probation.)
And considering how much they talk about smoking pot I doubt that she is going to remain on the outside for long.
Oh ... that Ethan!
lol! well, if you are looking for silver linings, TV is painfully bad because of summer, Breaking Dawn is still a month away, so it sounds like you are front and center to more entertainment than the rest of us! keep the updates coming so we can live the drama vicariously!! (love the comment from ethan. kids can only speak the truth, eh?)
hey, if the neighbors bring over brownies for a house-warming gift... don't eat them.
Post a Comment
<< Home