Mar 28, 2007

Indian Food


I have been meaning to throw up some posts about my travels of the last month. In the last few weeks I have been to Nebraska, New York City, Dubai, Hyderabad and then back to Dubai and NY...and then to San Diego. (In a few weeks I will be heading out to Portland.) The first thing I would like to comment on is Indian food.

A standard question on the annual backpacking trip I attend with some close friends is "if you had to eat any one type of food for the rest of your life, what would it be?" Well, I love Indian food, and my response to the question had always been Indian food. Well, I have to admit now, after living on it for 10 days, that I have been way off. Way off! I could barely handle it for three days. Now, don't get me wrong, Indian food is great, but it got to me. What really did it was the breakfasts. Spicy breakfasts really didn't sit well with me after spicy lunches and spicy dinners. In the U.S., and in most of the countries in which I have traveled, breakfast is for relatively light food, without a lot of punch. In India everything is spicy!




Now, on the flip side I loved Middle Eastern food. Always fresh and flavorful. I spent most of a week in Dubai and I never got tired of the food. We were lucky enough to be traveling with one of my classmates who is from Jordan, and she made sure that we ate a wide range of Middle Eastern foods. I can't say that there was a single dish that I did not like. So, if asked again I believe that I will follow along with my friend Phil and select Middle Eastern cuisine as my ethnic food of choice. Hummus....mmmmmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home