May 18, 2006

Social Etiquette: The fake laugh

Amara has a talking Bob the Builder book (thanks Boppa H) that involves pushing number buttons on a phone, which then rings and delivers messages. It has actually been a great way to teach Amara her numbers. We have this little routine where she dials the number, and when the phone rings, we look at each other with exaggerated gasps of excitement. Well, tonight Amara decided to add a crazy, head thrown back laugh at the end of the sequence. It struck me how silly and fake the laugh was, so I had to get a picture. Just looking at that picture as I write cracks me up!
As I considered her fake laugh, I recalled an incident from the other night. We were at the grocery store, and some woman jokingly remarked on Ethan's chunkiness by saying that I wasn't feeding him. I smiled, laughed a little, then heard Amara emitting the phoniest laugh I've ever heard! Is that what I sound like? Is it disturbing that at age 3 my child has already learned that sometimes a laugh is the socially appropriate response, even when the humor ain't so funny?

3 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger Chelsa said...

Max has already learned to emit a high-pitched fake cough in order to center attention back on himself. It is weird how quickly they pick up on speech patterns, behaviors, and etc.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Buppa H said...

So, did you throw your head back in the store, like Amara is doing? :-) She could have only gotten that from her mother ... or Buppa H.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Raging Wombat said...

That is a great shot! She is really giving it her all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home