Jul 9, 2008

Harry Potter

Do you recognize Harry Potter and Hermione Granger above?  Ethan's wearing Amara's witch costume from Halloween a few years ago, and Amara's wearing a witch costume given to us by a cousin last year.  Lately, we've been reading the Harry Potter series.  I started out wondering if it'd be too intense for Amara, and thinking that we'd only read the first one, then stop awhile before getting too far into the series.  But... I'm not doing too well.  We're on book 3, and Amara's really enjoying the books.  Reading picture less books to a 5 year-old can be an interesting experience.  Sometimes I wonder if she's listening at all - she'll be wiggling or humming while I read.  Other times she won't stop asking questions long enough for me to get through an entire sentence.  I often have to create a "question time" at the end of every page or two and encourage her to save her questions for then so that we can avoid breaking up the story too much.  Despite the humming and excessive questions, she often makes insightful connections that surprise me.
Anyway, the obsession is growing around here.  We have costumes, our bed has transformed into a flying car, feathers found on the beach are used as quills, wands are abundant - you get the idea.  Good times. 

I'd also love to hear good book suggestions for this age range.  We're also planning on Narnia and The Little House on the Prarie, but I know there are so many other fun ones...

5 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I read Charlotte's Web to Hannah when she was 6. I know what you are talking about with all the questions. I WANTED to say,"trust me, if you wouldn't ask 12 questions in 2 minutes you'd have a better grasp of what's going on."
They are so cute to get so into it. Great imaginations those two!

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger kristen said...

sounds fun!!! We just finished Little House on the Praire, and they loved it. We also read Princess Academy by Shannon Hale (i think), another great book. Happy Reading, and good luck with the endless questions, we can completely relate!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger BanAnna said...

I'd like to recommend Half Magic, James and the Giant Peach, and A Wrinkle in Time. Those were all read to me by elementary school teachers and our classes loved them.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Bluebell said...

Owen loves the Narnia books (we've probably read Voyage of the Dawn Treader about ten times) and all the Roald Dahl books are good, too. I liked The Secret Garden and A Little Princess when I was little. Owen amazed me by sitting through The Hobbit (he quit pestering us about LOTR, though, I told him maybe when he's ten). Alice in Wonderland is kind of weird and not very readable, and the original Peter Pan is likewise a little funny in the language. I tried Charlotte's Web but Owen wasn't into it but he loved The Trumpet of the Swan. Stuart Little is better with Michael J. Fox than on paper (it ends strangely). Oh, and Owen loved The Magic Treehouse series, too, by Mary Pope Osbourne. Have you made a decision about school yet?

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really loved Joan Aiken, the Great Brain books by John Dennis Fitzgerald, the Macdonald Hall books by Gordon Korman. The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander is kind of good. I loved the Shoes books by Noel Streatfeild. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame was a big favorite, although some chapters are better than others. The original Winnie the Pooh books by A. A. Milne are also really excellent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home