"I love the smell of neoprene in the morning!"
I was driving down to an event in SD with some coworkers and the subject came up of odd smells that we like that one wouldn't normally think of as pleasant. Things came up like the smell of whiteboard markers, and the smell of paper as it comes out of the inkjet. The one that I decided to admit to is that I love the smell of neoprene. (For those of you who aren't familiar with the smell, it is what wetsuits are made of, and almost everyone thinks it is awful.)

Surprisingly, it has nothing to do with surfing, though that new pastime brings me in contact with a lot of neoprene. It really has to do with the month that Justin and I spent in Mexico scuba diving. His parent's van was stuffed full of diving gear and we lived with the "aroma" every day.
It was such a great adventure that every time I smell neoprene there is a little jolt of adrenaline due to the strong association. Of course, most of you already know, that our olfactory sense is the sense most closely linked to memory.
Anyone else got a strange smell that they secretly enjoy?

7 Comments:
Chlorine...it reminds me of high school...waking up at 4:30 to go to swim team practice, showering and then heading off to seminary...every time any part of your skin got wet throughout the day...the smell of chlorine would emerge. Safe and secure without an adult care in the world.
Good one Aimei!
If you could bottle the scent of a Home Depot I swear I would spray it in my house. It's probably a combination of like 50 smells, some that are not meant to be directly inhaled but oh well. Also love the smell of a shoe store. Maybe that's why I buy so many??
I love the smell of coffee beans. I like to take a nice slow walk down the coffee isle with my shopping cart. Heaven!
Here's a crazy one for you. I like the smell of diesel fumes from buses. Yeah, I know ..... But, it brings back memories of when I was a kid waiting for the school bus. I also love the smell of the street just after the first rain.
This comment has been removed by the author.
No way... I clicked on this to add my favorite odd scent (thinking it so unique, of course), only to find out that it is already on here. My favorite smell is chlorine. Especially when there is an indoor heated pool, making the smell even more potent. Just to add something new, I also like the smell of craft store fake flowers. They are ugly as heck, but have a very distinct (an in my opinion pleasant) smell.
Post a Comment
<< Home