Dec 17, 2007

Dark Knight

So, after having posted about Dresden I thought I should also admit to being so excited about the new Batman movie that I went to the IMAX showing of I Am Legend so I could see the six minute beginning of Batman: Dark Knight.

The newest trailer hit the web over the weekend and can be found here.

First, the idea to shoot a section of a movie in IMAX simply for the purposes of marketing is very interesting. A number of recent movies have released the first six or eight minutes online to drum up marketing. In this particular case, by shooting that section in IMAX, the studio is able to use it not only draw people to another movie, but they also entice people to see it in the more expensive IMAX format. This is brilliant because it not only brings in larger per ticket dollar amounts but it ensures that the movie that accompanies the movie trailer is shown on additional screens.

Review of the Preview: The six minute beginning of Dark Knight is an introduction to the Joker (now played by Heath Ledger). It is a bank robbery scene where the criminals are dressed up in "Joker" style masks. The robbers end up double crossing each other in a number of violent shootings. Finally, the only one left standing happens to be the Joker who drives away with the loot. I found the intro disappointing only because the Joker doesn't laugh and the teaser trailer that includes Ledger's Joker laugh is spot on.

Anyway, the directing was good. Though, unless you are a visual arts geek the increased resolution is not overly impressive. I wouldn't recommend spending the money to see it in IMAX. Regardless, Dark Knight looks to be a great movie. As someone who read Batman comic books as a kid I am really glad that DC and WB have decided to remake Batman in the style of the "Legends of the Dark Knight" era.

As for I Am Legend, I thought it was good, but not mind blowing. The movie is intense, and I enjoyed Will Smith's acting, but for some reason I was never completely drawn into the movie. The movie is only loosely based on Matheson's iconic book.

2 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Blogger Ian said...

What's up Alan? I saw Beowulf in 3d IMAX format. It was super cool I must admit. "I Am Legend" is a great book btw. The novel by Richard Matheson inspired several movies, including Romero's "Night of the Living Dead".

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Quite right Ian. The book is great and besides "Night of the Living Dead" the movie Omega Man was based on the book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home