Scaramouche
"He was born with the gift of laughter, and a sense that the world was mad."
What a wonderful beginning! The first line of Scaramouche is iconic. I didn't realize before I started the book and it really hit me. (The fact I didn't know is a good indicator of my lack of education in famous literature. The passage is even on the authors tombstone, and is quoted everywhere.) My dad and I had a conversation a month ago about the books that have most affected us. He mentioned a number of fictional works, including Scaramouche, that I had not read. My list is mostly non-fiction so I thought I would branch out in my reading. I finished the book this week and found it to be very good. Not a smooth read, since the language is not completely modern, but an interesting one. Much of the philosophy of the French Revolution is stated in conversation between the characters.
In a few hours I get on the plane to Reno (heading to S. Lake Tahoe) and I will be reading another of my fathers recommendations, the Parsifal Mosaic. Any other summer reading suggestions?

1 Comments:
Yeah, "Scaramouche" is a great book. Another good one that takes place during the French Revolution is "The Scarlet Pimpernel". You've probably seen the movie (very good) but the book is excellent!
Post a Comment
<< Home