UHaul moving fun
I can't help it. I've got to elaborate on our moving experience. Most of it was pretty standard, really, as far as moving goes. A lot of work packing and getting it all done, of course. But, there was a bit of weirdness with UHaul. I reserved a truck online, and I put in the request form that I'd like it for 24 hours starting on Friday. Well, they sent me an email saying that I could have a truck from 9AM Friday to 9AM Saturday. Since we wanted the truck Friday night and Saturday morning, I called them and told them 4PM to 4PM would be better, which they said would be fine and sent me a confirmation via email and text message. We picked the truck up around 4:30PM, moved some that evening, then were getting started Saturday around 8:30AM. I got a text message around 9:30 saying my truck was late. What??! So I called them, and the guy at the local UHaul told me all kinds of strange things, including:
-I don't know what you did on the internet, but this is the real world and you need to get the truck back. (What? He said this multiple times during the conversation. Is the internet some crazy new invention worthy of suspicion? Keep in mind that I'd made this reservation on the UHaul website, not some random 3rd party website. And they'd gotten the 9:00 time from my original request, just hadn't managed to update it to the correct time. So they were using the internet reservation system, just not very well).
-Your reservation is subject to availability. (Then what is the point of a reservation??)
-That truck is reserved for someone else at 9:30. If you don't bring it back, they'll go to "Budget" across the street and you'll have to pay for the business we lose. (By the way, when we brought it back around 1:00 they said it was no big deal and that they rarely charge people for bringing it back late. Though we'd claim we weren't late at all...)
There were others, but its been over a week now and I'm less flabbergasted than I was then. I could not believe that he refused to acknowledge his own company's website as a valid way to make a reservation. Whew! So weird.

1 Comments:
that part about the internet and weird employee is so strange, but the part about Uhaul not truly being a reservation system is 100% true, you can google it sometime if you're in the mood for stories of how a missing "reservation" ruined people's moves.
Post a Comment
<< Home