Survival of the Fittest
I just spent 30 minutes cleaning Amara's room, mostly sorting out all the random stuff and tossing papers and junk, putting away puzzle pieces, etc. I realized that I'm in a sort of evolutionary arms race here. I don't know if that's a familiar term to the general public, or just one I've picked up while studying science. When I first got married, my cleaning skills were meager. I knew how to scrub a toilet, yes, but I had no system in place to get everything done, etc. Well, over the years, I've learned more attention to detail, and gotten a pretty good routine down that will help me keep things in order. Here's where my competitive co-evolvers come in: Amara. First one baby, who makes cleaning harder simply by occupying appendages used for cleaning. As child ages, mom learns to be more resourceful and can clean up while holding child, or while child sleeps. Then, child becomes mobile and capable of making bigger messes. Yikes! Mom steps up the cleaning again, vacuums all the time, hides chokables, scrubs floor (since child has been known to lick food off of it...). Just as things are getting easier, mom is expecting another baby and is too sick to keep up the routine. New baby restarts the cycle, now with a messy toddler in tow who continues to increase her mess-making ability and still has very meager cleaning skills of her own. I guess I thwart my own evolution by increasing my competitors' numbers.
Seriously, how do you keep up? Any tips? The whole: Pick up one thing before you get out another is just not practical at this stage. If Amara got out a box of blocks, then moved on to a puzzle, etc that would work. But its a few blocks, 2 puzzle pieces, and 1000 scraps of paper are all being used simultaneously for some unknown purpose. I go in her room this morning, and all around her "mini table" is pure craziness. Stickers, crayons, a coloring book, foam shapes, marker lids, scissors, ALL the drawing/coloring supplies strewn about the table. It seems pretty reasonable that she would be using them all, but I can hardly get this girl to put the lids back on her markers, much less put the markers and other supplies back into their boxes..

5 Comments:
try FlyLady.net
She is some sort of cleaning guru.
really!
throughout the day, any time I leave a room, i bring with me (or kick or toss) kid items back to the kids' room. By bedtime, everything kid-related is in the right room, and then hurriedly put into the right spots.
as to sweeping/vacuming/scrubbing, that doesn't happen on my watch unless there's a spill. It sounds like you're way ahead of me, since you mention a "system". really, mine is tossing stuff closer to the proper room. I don't take cleaning seriously.
we don't have chokables. Just don't allow them, for now. there's nothing E can get out that Em can't have.
As to kids putting toys back, or putting lids back on markers, you could "get tough". I don't mean punisment over this, of course, just setting up a clear expectation- "hey, markers belong in the marker box, come on! right here!" or "wow, this puzzle is a big mess! make sure all the pieces get back in the box where they belong, sweetie!"
Thanks guys!
banana: I'm already a flylady fan. She's got a good system, and is so positive.
cchrissyy: I love the visual of kicking stuff back to the appropriate room. I totally try to do stuff with my feet when my hands are full of a baby!
That's a great idea about chokables. I've been trying to decide how to manage once Ethan's mobile. I think I'll move all chokables to a different location.
We use a timer. Owen knows that he is responsible for putting his toys away and cleaning up his messes but more often than not he needs a little motivation. When he's in a good mood he liks to beat the timer just for the sake of winning the game; when he's in a bad mood he has to beat the timer or he knows he will lose privileges. Usually it's something like, "You can put your toys away before the beeper beeps or I can put them away and you won't get to play with them for three days."
Last night he picked up a handful of marbles and threw them at me, apparently out of nowhere. We gave the marbles and the game they go with away permanently. You probably don't have that problem with Amara but it's an example of how we discipline.
We have the girls clean their own messes, usually to the tune of "Clean up, clean up, everybody do their part ..."
Of course, it doesn't always work ...
Post a Comment
<< Home