Oct 12, 2001

Why I Love Backpacking.

I have spent a lot of time backpacking and I love it. I love it for the following reasons:

Calm. It is great to get away from the stress of daily life. No cell phones, no e-mail, few responsibilities. When I am backpacking life slows down a bit and I experience real, sustained calm.

Simplification. In the back country life is simplified. The only possessions you have are the ones you can carry and almost all are related to survival. It reminds me that most of the many things that we have are luxuries that I could easy do without.

Friends. Since I most often backpack with close friends and family I am able to get in large amounts of quality time with my favorite people. One of the sad realities of our lives is that we are so busy we don’t always have time for the people we care about and whose presence we enjoy. When I am backpacking I get to spend large amounts of time with great people and without distractions. There is also the bonding that goes along with shared experience and I cherish that as well. When you are out in the back country there is not only the realization that your gear is what your life depends on, but that if something were to happen the people who you are with will be entrusted with your life.

The Views. Some of the most beautiful places in the world are only reachable through the back country. There are a few ways to get to them without backpacking, but most take effort. The images stay with me and are a constant reminder of the beauty of the world.

Wildlife. Seeing something in a zoo is nothing like seeing it in the wild.

Discovery. People have conquered most of the wild places in the world, and the areas that are still untamed are fairly distant and costly to reach. Regardless, there is something magical about being out where so few people go. Often, exploring, usually off trail, I encounter scenes that few others have seen.

Achievement. While backpacking, especially in tough terrain, there is a great feeling of accomplishment as I get to the peak of a mountain or complete a long and grueling hike.

Gear. This is probably a guy thing, but I love all the gear that is associated with backpacking. It is fascinating to me to see the new innovations every year, and I love to experiment with different techniques and materials.

Reflection. I am a person who often needs alone time to ponder and reflect. There is nothing like pondering meaningful things while staring up at the stars.

Testing my limits. Like most adventure sports, backpacking over distance and at elevation not only conditions but tests ones limits. There is something exhilarating about pushing yourself to the limit and something great when you realize that your limits are expanding.

Campfires. Warmth, light…marshmallows on fire, is there anything better?

Not everyone loves it, but I do.

1 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Amara said...

Dear Kristina,I love marsh mellows. I love them best roasted. They are yummy. Love, Amara.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home